|Title of Research||Cultural differences in conceptualization of loss and grief as expressed by Americans and Poles. A comparative analysis.|
|Program of Study||PhD in Linguistics (Translation studies)|
|Research Interests||I am interested in conceptualization of emotions (metaphors, blends), intercultural differences in conceptualization, using cognitive linguistics as a tool in translation studies, American culture, psychology. As a part of my PhD project I interview Americans and Poles to analyze conceptual blends related to loss and grief, and look for some intercultural differences. I would also like to expand my research and study gestures people use when talking about loss.|
|Activities||Visiting Student Researcher at UC Berkeley (2015/16), member of: International American Studies Association (IASA), Polish Cognitive Linguistics Association;
• 10–12 June 2015. “Comparative analysis of selected conceptual metaphors in Jonathan Carroll’s ‘Voice of our Shadow’ and its Polish translations.” (poster) on RaAM Specialised Seminar 2015 “Metaphors and/in/of Translation”, Leiden, The Netherlands.
• 15–16 September 2014. “Loss for words & words for loss. How Americans talk about their loss when they grieve.” on “Cognitive Linguistics in the year 2014”, Częstochowa, Poland.
• 3–6 August 2013. “Navy blues. How American sailors’ wives cope with separation or losing their husbands to sea.” on “Oceans Apart: In Search of New Wor(l)ds. IASA 6th World Congress”, Szczecin, Poland.
• 26–27 April 2013. “Rozwój tłumaczenia środowiskowego jako przejaw zwiększającej się migracji ludności. Przypadek Monterey w Kalifornii (The development of community interpreting as a result of growing migration. A case study of Monterey, CA.)”, on “Przeszłość i teraźniejszość Ameryki Północnej wobec wyzwań i dynamiki zmian współczesnego świata (The past and the present of North America in the face of current world challenges and changes)”, Nicolaus Copernicus University, Toruń, Poland.
• 20–23 September 2012. “Do Americans and Poles conceptualize grief in the same way? A comparative analysis of GRIEF metaphors in the fragments of a guide for the bereaved and translation of these into Polish”, on the “Grievings 2012” international conference, University of Silesia in Katowice, Ustroń, Poland.
|back to student directory|
- For members
- Join RaAM!
- For students